Friday, October 12, 2007

Mural Memories

I found some old pics of my early airbrushing gigs online while I was Googling for stuff on murals and graffiti. It's been a while since I last visited the place where we did these murals over a decade ago. It was during this summer that I got my first hands on an airbrush tool. It was sunny and hot, but man I had fun and learned a lot.

I've always wondered what the condition of the artwork looks like now. I was shocked to find out that most of that artwork have deteriorated. Some have started flaking and have peeled off the walls. I just learned that it may have been due to the poor base that was done prior to the work. When I first started working, the walls have already been primed. The images on the large areas were drawn and laid out. After completion the whole mural was supposed to be sprayed with a sealant or 'graffiti-proofed'. Man, I'm not sure how long that lasted, lol.

For a while the project program helped revitalized the neighborhood and made it more welcoming for family and kids. Now after looking at some of these recent pics, I don't know. Just too bad and sad really.

Anyways here's to some great memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment